Milton Fire Department urges safe handling of fireworks this holiday weekend

To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries this Victoria Day weekend, the Milton Fire Department is urging residents to attend formally organized fireworks displays and to take precautions if they are participating in family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.

“We want people to have fun and be safe this holiday weekend, while recognizing that there are inherent risks in setting off fireworks,” says Dave Pratt, Acting Fire Chief. “Larger formal fireworks displays use experts who are trained to handle and discharge fireworks safely. For everyone else, fireworks can be extremely dangerous.”

Anyone still wishing to set off or display family fireworks will need to apply for a temporary permit through the Milton Fire Department no later than two days ahead of time, and will need to meet requirements such as minimum lot line distances and other safety factors that demonstrate that the display is being held in a safe manner. The use of sparklers is not considered as fireworks. There is no fee for a permit to celebrate Victoria Day, Canada Day and Diwali.

If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, the Milton Fire Department is asking for these important safety tips to be followed:

  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground.
  • Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
  • Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • f someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

To obtain a permit or for more information about the fireworks by-law, contact the Milton Fire Department at 905-878-9251 or visit