Ontario is recognizing three remarkable citizens and organizations with the Ontario Award for Leadership in Immigrant Employment.
The award acknowledges employers and organizations that champion workplace diversity; show leadership in recruiting and mentoring immigrants; or demonstrate the positive impacts of hiring immigrants. “Ontario is recognized as a great place for immigrants to settle because of the efforts of people and organizations like those being recognized today,” Michael Chan, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration & Trade said. The award also recognizes immigrants who are entrepreneurs and create jobs in the province.
The recipients are:
- Tony Bailetti, for his work mentoring and supporting immigrant entrepreneurs
- Ontario Human Rights Commission, for its leadership in removing the “Canadian experience” barrier for immigrants seeking employment or professional accreditation
- Scotiabank – Ottawa, for championing immigrant employment in the financial sector.
The province is also launching the Champion of Diversity Award, which will replace the Ontario Award for Leadership in Immigrant Employment and the Ontario Newcomer Champion Award. This program will recognize:
- Individuals who embrace inclusion, celebrate Ontario’s rich diversity, and help ensure that immigrants and refugees are welcomed, valued and gain equal, adequate and universal access to social services
- Individuals who preserve the legacy and tradition of an ethnic group’s cultural heritage and promote cross-cultural understanding
- Employers who increase the proportion of economic immigrants to Ontario and maximize the benefits of a globally connected economy.
Celebrating outstanding individuals and employers who promote a welcoming and diverse society is part of the government’s economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education.