The incident occurred at 10:28am on Monday March 13th, 2017 when a male was entering the Milton Courthouse. The male was being screened through a Security checkpoint. That’s when Halton Regional Police Court Officers noticed the firearm. The male was immediately arrested without incident. A search incident to arrest of the male uncovered some knives, one of which was a prohibited weapon. A further search of the male’s motor vehicle resulted in the seizure of a second loaded firearm.
A follow up investigation has revealed that there was no intended action to target any persons. Detective Sergeant Dave Costantini of the One District Criminal Investigations Bureau stated, “We are extremely confident that there was no plan to harm any individuals at the Courthouse. The Halton Regional Police Service considers the safety and security of all persons, including those attending and working in our Court Buildings, a priority.”
A public safety search warrant was conducted on the male’s residence and resulted in the seizure of an additional 7 firearms.
John Tirone, 40 years of Burlington has been charged with several firearms related offences.He has been held for a bail hearing.
- 4 counts of Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose
- 1 count of Unauthorized Possession of Weapon
- 3 counts of Carry concealed weapon
- 8 counts of Careless Use of Firearm, Weapon, Ammunition (Included in these charges are the unsafe storage and transport of the firearms and ammunition).
- 2 counts of Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm/ammunition
- 2 counts Possession of Firearm at Unauthorized Place
Anyone with information that would assist in this investigation is asked to contact Detective Skoularicos of the Milton One District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 905-825-4747, ext 2420. Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers “See something, Hear something, Say something” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca, or by texting “Tip201” with your message to 274637 (crimes).