By Shazia Nazir/ Local Journalism Initiative
Halton Regional Police Service have laid multiple charges in a human trafficking investigation following the allegations from historical incidents between 2016 and 2020.Investigators arrested Paolo Fadul-Gonzalez from Toronto on January 5th, 2022 (Wednesday) over exploitation of a female in the region of Halton and the Greater Toronto area.
The 26 year-old has been charged with the following:
- Trafficking of a person under 18 years of age
- Procuring a person under 18 years of age
- Receive material benefit from sexual services provided by a person under 18 years of age
- Receive material benefit resulting from trafficking in persons
- Procuring by exercising control
- Advertising sexual advertisements
- Sexual Assault (x2)
Police believe there is potential for additional victims and ask that anyone with information contact the Human Trafficking Unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 5331. The Canadian Human Trafficking Hotline, a multilingual, confidential service designed to connect victims, and survivors with social services and police as well as take public tips. They can be reached at: 1-833-900-1010.
The signs of human trafficking can range from not being allowed to speak for themselves to withdrawing from family and friends as well to having a new romantic partner who they won’t introduce to family or friends and having new clothing or jewelry that is outside their financial means.