Canada provides early eTA enrolment for Mexican citizens

Mexico City — The Government of Canada announced today that Mexican citizens can apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) starting at 12:01 a.m. EST on November 25, 2016. After the visa requirement is lifted at 12:01 a.m. EST on December 1, 2016, Mexican citizens flying to or transiting through Canada will need an eTA.

Mexican citizens still need a visitor visa to travel to Canada until December 1, 2016, and should not attempt to travel to Canada with an eTA before then.

The eTA allows Canada to screen travellers before they board a plane to Canada. All foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries, except United States citizens, require an eTA to fly to or transit through Canada. See for more information.

“Being able to apply early for their eTA provides Mexicans travelling to Canada with time to get the travel document they need, to take full advantage of their anticipated visa-free status in the immediate days after the visa lift,” said Pierre Alarie, Canada’s Ambassador to Mexico.

Between November 25 and 30, 2016, Mexicans will not be able to apply online for a visa. To apply for a visa during this time, they need to complete a paper application and submit it to any visa application centre (VAC) worldwide, including three Mexican VACs located in Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey.

Quick facts

Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive (CAN$7) online process that takes just minutes to complete. The eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport and is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. Mexican citizens can apply for an eTA using any device with an internet connection, including mobile phones. To complete the form, they need their passport, a credit card, an email address and access to the Internet.

Mexican citizens who already have a valid Canadian visa do not need an eTA and can travel with their valid visa. However, once their Canadian visa expires, they will need to obtain an eTA. Mexican citizens will not need an eTA if they are entering Canada by land or sea. Mexicans who want to work or study in Canada temporarily will still need to apply for work or study permits.
Canadian dual citizens living in Mexico should continue to travel on their Canadian passport.