As part of the 2016 Budget, Ontario plans to invest $12 billion over 10 years in Ontario hospitals to continue building modern hospital infrastructure. The province is also providing $50 million in new annual funding to help hospitals keep their facilities in good repair.
These health care infrastructure investments are helping expand access to high-quality care so patients receive the care they need in a safe and healthy environment. Across the province, approximately 35 major hospital projects are under construction or in various stages of planning. “Throughout Ontario, hospitals are often viewed as organizations that play an important role in local communities,” Ontario Hospitals
Examples of hospital projects being planned or already underway include:
- Mackenzie Health’s new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital project
- A new Providence Care Hospital in Kingston
- The renovation of acute and long-term care beds at the Atikokan General Hospital
- An expansion and redevelopment at Cambridge Memorial Hospital.
Investing in health infrastructure is part of the government’s plan to improve access to high‐quality, reliable, specialized health care services and facilities for Ontarians, now and in the future.
Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province’s history — about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals.
Milton District Hospital Expansion Opening Fall, 2017
Expansion plans for Milton District Hospital were approved in August 2011. The province is providing $501.3 million for a 4-storey expansion that will triple the size of the current hospital.
This expansion will include:
- A new maternal-newborn (Maternity Unit) including a special care Nursery
- A new Emergency Room
- Additional in-patient rooms in the medical/surgery increasing the hospital’s capacity from one 29-bed unit to two 36-bed units.
Construction is to be completed by the spring of 2017. Visit their website to view the project’s progress in real-time.